Current:Home > FinanceRobert Brown|Mexico sent 25,000 troops to Acapulco after Hurricane Otis. But it hasn’t stopped the violence -EliteFunds
Robert Brown|Mexico sent 25,000 troops to Acapulco after Hurricane Otis. But it hasn’t stopped the violence
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 02:13:09
MEXICO CITY (AP) — The Robert BrownMexican government sent 25,000 troops to Acapulco after the resort was hit by Hurricane Otis on Oct. 25, but apparently that hasn’t stopped the violence this week.
The main Acapulco business chamber reported that gang threats and attacks have caused about 90% of the city’s passenger vans to stop running, affecting the resort’s main form of transport. The chamber said the violence was forcing businesses to close early on Thursday and Friday.
“Organized groups of people who have no conscience or commitment to Acapulco have committed criminal acts in broad daylight, threatening civilians with direct armed attacks, and this caused 90% of public transportation to shut down,” wrote Alejandro Martínez Sidney, president of the National Chamber of Commerce and Tourism Services in Acapulco.
“If this situation continues, we will be forced to close businesses,” he wrote in a statement Thursday. The problem continued into Friday, with few vans or buses seen in the streets.
Martínez Sidney was apparently referring to attacks on the privately-own and operate passenger vans in recent days. Local media reported that at least three vans had been burned, a practice that gangs often use to enforce extortion demands for daily protection payments from van drivers.
The Category 5 hurricane killed 52 people and left 32 missing, and severely damaged almost all of the resort’s hotels.
The government has pledged to build about three dozen barracks for the quasi-military National Guard in Acapulco. But even with throngs of troops now on the streets, the drug gang violence that has beset Acapulco for almost two decades appears to have continued.
Acapulco’s economy depends almost completely on tourism, and there are comparitively few visitors in the city, in part because only about 4,500 hotel rooms have been repaired, a small fraction of the tens of thousands the city once had.
Moreover, since the government has also sent about 3,000 federal employees to help in the rebuilding and repair efforts, they occupy many of the hotel rooms.
Violence isn’t new to the once-glamorous resort, and even in the first hours after the hurricane hit, almost every large store in the city was ransacked, while police and soldiers stood by.
veryGood! (912)
Related
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- The Best Red Outfits for February’s Big Football Game
- House approves expansion for the Child Tax Credit. Here's who could benefit.
- Break away from the USA? New Hampshire once again says nay
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Who could replace Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes? 5 potential candidates for 2025
- Camp Lejeune water contamination tied to range of cancers, CDC study finds
- The cost of hosting a Super Bowl LVIII watch party: Where wings, beer and soda prices stand
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Why the FTC is cracking down on location data brokers
Ranking
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Taylor Swift is the greatest ad for the Super Bowl in NFL history
- Apple ends yearlong sales slump with slight revenue rise in holiday-season period but stock slips
- Bruce Springsteen’s mother Adele Springsteen, a fan favorite who danced at his shows, dies at 98
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Hootie & the Blowfish Singer Darius Rucker Arrested on Drug Charges
- Bruce Springsteen’s mother Adele Springsteen, a fan favorite who danced at his shows, dies at 98
- Alec Baldwin Pleads Not Guilty to Involuntary Manslaughter in Rust Shooting Case
Recommendation
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
South Carolina to provide free gun training classes under open carry bill passed by state Senate
A year after Ohio train derailment, families may have nowhere safe to go
Terry Beasley, ex-Auburn WR and college football Hall of Famer, dies at 73
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Halle Bailey Reveals How She and Boyfriend DDG Picked Baby's Name
Here’s What’s Coming to Netflix in February 2024
Satellite images show massive atmospheric river that is barreling over the West Coast